Roasted Tomato & Feta Quiche
September 03, 2013
I don't know if it's an Arab thing or something I picked up from the neighborhood kids, but when I was a little girl I was obsessed with salt on my tomatoes. No joke, every day at 4pm I was plopped in front of the TV with a salt shaker in one hand and a ripe tomato in the other, eating it like an apple. Tomato juice running down my hand, all over my face, in my hair, on the couch... ya, I was a cute kid. And to this day, I love tomatoes! Especially when they're used outside the salad. This recipe gives fellow tomato lovers inspiration for tonight's dinner, made in under an hour with grocery list and instruction manual included. If you haven't had quiche lately, it is time to fix that. These mini roasted tomato and feta cheese quiches are simply perfect! And it's that first bite that's always so good: crunchy, creamy, salty and the cherry tomato just bursts in your mouth. Make it quick by using frozen shortcrust pastry and if your feta cheese is salty, don't add extra salt. And play around with the herbs, I used fresh zaater, but it tastes amazing with mint, parsley or basil. Paired with a light salad, your grown up dinner is served. No fuss, no mess. http://ya-zasnyal.ru/Print
Roasted Tomato & Feta Quiche
By September 3, 2013Published:
- Yield: 12 mini quiches ( 12 Servings )
- Prep: 34 mins
A simple, yet flavor-packed quiche that's so simple to make. Serve warm or cold, as a starter or main course and taste amazing the next day.
- 1 packet store-bought-shortcrust-pastry make sure it's not the sweet kind
- 2 eggs
- 180 ml single-cream
- 200 ml whole-or-skim-milk
- 12 cherry-tomatoes
- 150 grams feta-cheese
- 0 small bunch fresh-zaater-leaves
- 0 black-pepper pinch
- 0 nutmeg pinch
- Preheat oven to 200°C (or 390F). Lightly grease 10-12 tartelettes tins or one large quiche tin – loose base. I used mini cupcake tin.
- Place the cherry tomatoes on a baking sheet and roast them in the oven for 20-30 min. Take them out of the oven and reduce oven temp to 180°C.
- If the pastry is frozen let it defrost outside for an hour or so. Roll out the pastry on floured surface until thin. Cut into large circles and place inside cupcake tins. Press down gently and crimp the edges of your pastry.
- Put the whole tin in the fridge while you make the filling. Beat the eggs together with the milk, cream and fresh-ground black pepper and nutmeg. Chop some fresh zaater leaves and stir into the milk-egg mix.
- Cut the feta cheese into small cubes and place them inside your pastry cases. Carefully ladle in the egg mix leaving some space then top with one roasted tomato.
- Bake for around 20-25 minutes until lightly golden on top. Remove, leave to cool for a few minutes.
- Serve hot, warm or cooled completely. Garnish with some fresh basil or rocket. Perfect with a crispy green salad as a light lunch or dinner. Lovely reheated next day, and ideal picnic food too.